Mt. Zion Historical Park
“The Pride of the Mt. Zion Historical Society”
History of the Mt. Zion Historical Park
The Mt. Zion Historical Society is located on the former site of the Mt. Zion Church which was the first Protestant church in Elk County. The church, built in 1858 with the adjoining cemetery, is rich in the early heritage and history of Elk County. Unfortunately, the church was destroyed by fire in 1976.
In 1998, Joseph J. Burke, together with a group of civic minded citizens, decided to develop a park on this site for the purpose of recognizing and preserving the history of the area.
Over the past decade, the Mt. Zion Historical Park has evolved from the primitive site where Mt. Zion Church once stood into what it is today. The park began with a monument to the church in 2006, and since that time has had many additions. It now contains a stone walkway with over 600 granite plaques honoring local veterans, a Civil War monument, a special “Veterans’ Walkway” and “Citizens’ Walkway”, an informational four-sided kiosk, gristmills from the past, benches recognizing local families, and much more.
The park is managed and maintained by the Mt. Zion Historical Society with support from area citizens as well as a number of local organizations that includes, but is not limited to, the American Legion, Boy Scouts of America, Vietnam Veterans of America, and local churches.
The park is financially supported by grants received by the Mt. Zion Historical Society, as well as from fund drives held throughout the year and donations from local citizens.
Finding Mt. Zion Historical Park