Bennett’s Valley History

Elk County’s first inhabitants were presumed to be the Seneca or Cornplanter Indians. In the last decade of the 18th century, the first white pioneers came into this area. About 1787. John Bennett and his father came up the Susquehanna River and the Bennett’s Branch to around current day Caledonia in Jay Township- and thus the beginning of the Bennett’s Valley story. 

Jay Township – named for the US Supreme Court Justice John Jay – was settled in the early 1800’s. It consists of Brynedale, Weedville, Force, and Caledonia.

Benezette Township as an original township and town was founded in 1812 by Reuben Winslow. This area can be very crowded during the elk viewing season. Benezette, Grant, Medix Run, Wilmer, and Winslow Hill are located in this township.


Winslow Hill – Benezette, PA

On the front page of the first edition of the Bennett’s Valley News, Nov 3, 1949

Poems of the Past & Stories